COVID-19 has led to more and more employees working from home. According to the World Economic Forum, 98 per cent of people surveyed said they would like the option to work remotely for the rest of their careers.
The number of people working from home has increased significantly during the coronavirus crisis. The pandemic is likely to cause a permanent increase in remote working even after the crisis. An overwhelming majority of people currently working from home believe that doing so does not harm their productivity.
According to TechRepulic, a new report from entertainment technology company FunCorp’s CIO Denis Litvinov took a deep dive into how the pandemic affected remote work.
Litvinov’s report is a pull-no-punches look at the 10 most critical factors to the remote work forced on many employees in the industry. Of which, the report listed down the top five advantages of remote working.
- Allows for an appropriate work/home balance: Most businesses are conducted in major metropolitan areas, and employees were previously saddled with commutes, exhausting traffic jams, or queues for public transport. Fun Corp’s surveys found employees are less stressed than before the pandemic.
- Productivity and focus are on the uptick: Even though there are distractions in the home, the report found overall concentration at work has improved. With the reduction of external irritants, stress is reduced and assignments are completed more efficiently and quickly. Reduced stress levels due to lack of external irritants allow tasks to be performed faster with fewer errors or inaccuracies.
- More top talent want to WFH: By expanding geo-targeted employment, which had been previously possible but not common, it’s now the norm and has drawn talent once uninterested in telecommuting to embracing it, and looking for positions that allowed for WFH and began completing applications for these open positions.
- Budget friendly with better cost management: Businesses can redistribute budgets and save on their operating costs. Expenses are now viewed in “a more reasonable and business-oriented way,” while still considering the global economic crisis. Office, equipment, and rental fees can now be translated into helping the current financial situation.
- Wider search range benefits diversity and inclusion: Companies can now recruit talent from cities or even countries they did not have previous access to, because the hires would be working in an office setting. The recruitment process has been opened up to more diversity and inclusion.
Litvinov concluded, “In general, we believe that technology companies can quickly move to distributed work without significant loss of quality.” Remote working is an opportunity for companies to change their way of working sustainably and reap the benefits over the medium to long term. Think of less office space, less commuting, fewer business trips, shorter breaks and greater focus for employees.
Feedback from the market quoted by Ernst & Young seems to indicate that remote workers are also less likely to take short absences due to illness. It can also have a positive impact on the remuneration system of companies and provide insights into (HR) opportunities. Remote working on a larger scale also offers companies the flexibility to deal with unexpected events in the future, such as the COVID-19 crisis. Finally, remote working can give a renewed boost to cooperation and cohesion.
Understanding this inevitable trend, FPT Education built up a special program for international students – Remote Internship. By participating in this program, students will be prepared for the global trend by working virtually as an intern before graduation. This is the best way to prove that they have what it takes to work in a remote environment.
Remote Internship will help students develop essential skills of remote working global trends, gain real working experience with abroad companies without leaving the country, earn academic credits, and broaden valuable network with students and experts in the field all around the world. Upon completion, they will get certificate of Internship Completion from FPT Education Global & Host company.
Click here to learn more about our mobility program.
Interested students and universities can send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a hub of world-class education in Vietnam, FPT Education Global offers courses at FPT University Vietnam, University of Greenwich Vietnam & Swinburne University Vietnam. Our students enjoy the five-star student services and high-quality academic programs from top universities with affordable tuition fees.